- 1 Introducing Xoops 2.0.x
- 2 Installing Xoops 2.0.x - Fantastico De Luxe:
- 3 Installing Xoops 2.0.x Manually via Web Interface
- 4 Using Xoops to build your website
- 4.1 Administration Menu
- 4.2 Preferences
- 4.3 Blocks
- 4.4 Templates
- 4.5 Modules
- 5 Backup and Restore Xoops Database
- 5.1 Installing the module
- 5.2 Backup
- 5.3 Restore
Introducing Xoops 2.0.x
An Object-Oriented Open-Source Content Management System written in PHP, Xoops provides you the functionality to create small to large dynamic websites. Through its modules, you have the capability of adding more and more usability and options for you to best develop your site.
Installing Xoops 2.0.x - Fantastico De Luxe:
- Step 1: Login to your Admin cPanel http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel.
- Step 2: Locate and click on the Fantastico De Luxe Icon.
- Step 3: Under the “Content Management” section, find and click on “Xoops”.
- Step 4: In the right panel, select “New Installation”.
- Step 5: on page 1 of the installation process, you will be prompted for the installation directory. To have Joomla installed on your website’s main page (http://www.yourdomain.com) leave it blank else, insert the directory of your choice (http://www.yourdomain.com/xoops).Also fill out the Admin access data. Finally, click on “Install Xoops”.
Step 6: on page 2, a summary of the installation options is displayed, including database details and the installation directory chosen.
- Step 7: Click on “Finish Installation” button to successfully complete your Xoops installation process.
With step 7, you would have accomplished the installation process of Xoops 2.0.x.
In order to start using Xoops, visit: http://www.yourdomain.com/xoops.
Installing Xoops 2.0.x Manually via Web Interface
- Step 1: Download Xoops 2.0.x latest release to your desktop from the official website.
- Step 2: Uncompress the downloaded file to a specified directory on your desktop.
- Step 3: On you hosting server and under /public_html, create a new folder named “xoops” and upload all the files and directories under /htdocs to that folder via FTP.
- Step 4: From within the cPanel interface of your hosting account, create a new database using the “MySQL Database Wizard”. Please do save all the information used in this wizard from usernames and passwords for future use.
- Step 5: Using your browser, go to the location of your newly uploaded files (Step 3): http://www.yourdomain.com/xoops.
Once you are there, the Xoops – Installation Wizard will be displayed:
Step 6: After selecting your languages, click next. This will take you to the Welcome page of Xoops.
You need to make sure that all requirements are met as this may cause future problems. Click “Next”.
- Step 7: Here comes a file and directory permissions check done by Xoops. If everything is working fine, click “NEXT”
Step 8: After checking for file and directory permissions, the wizard will move to the database credentials. Fill them up according to the credentials that you already have when you previously created the database.
Step 9: Following the database configuration, Xoops performs several checks in order to proceed with the installation process. It will also ask you to confirm the database credentials that you have entered. Once confirmed, Xoops will try to connect to the database and display the results. If everything is working fine, click “Next” so that Xoops creates the database tables
Note: A very nice option in Xoops is available. In case you have not created your database previously, then Xoops WILL CREATE IT for you instead, with all the data you have provided.
Step 10: Next you will be asked for administrator credentials. Once entered Xoops will insert all necessary data in the database tables.
This will end up the Installation Wizard of Xoops. Nevertheless, you will need to do two extra additional steps, as Xoops will prohibit its use unless the following steps are done.
Step 11: Go to File Manager and delete the folder named: /install under the /xoops directory.
- Step 12: change the permissions of the file named: mainfile.php to Read-Only, which is available under the /xoops directory.
Once all the steps are established successfully, try accessing Xoops:
Using Xoops to build your website
This is the area where you, as an administrator, can control and manage the entire website, from its look to its content. You can also escalate the privileges of specific users of your to choice to become administrators and assist you in controlling the website.
The general website configurations are set here. You can change the authentication options, change the mail setup, manage meta tags and footer, word censoring options and manage the users info settings
Going through these settings one by one, is a good step before giving access to new users as to get a general view of how your website configuration is set.
Control the location of where every module is published on your website. From right to center positions to left, you may change the modules locations accordingly. The good advantage of this option is that it can be controlled as per template. So for every template, you can have different blocks and modules locations.
Taking as an example the login module, to change its position from the default one on the left side, to the right side, all you have to do is the following: Administration Menu Blocks locate the “login” module click on the “right side” radio button click “Submit”.
Off course you will want to customize the look of your website according to your taste, thus using the templates is the obvious procedure.
To install new templates, simply:
- Download the theme of your choice and extract it.
- Upload the directory with the “theme-name” to the /themes directory of xoops.
- After successful upload, login to the administration menu and go to Preferences and click on “General Settings”.
- In the “Default Theme” list, you will find the name of the new theme. Select it and click “Go”, and your theme will be in use.
Be aware that this will not change the administrative back-end theme but only the front-end theme.
Modules will extend the Xoops functionality by various ways. This depends on the type of module installed. You can download modules from the modules repository section of the official Xoops website.
There are various module types available and can vary from Admin tools, communications, Information technology, project management, to support.
To install a module:
- Download the module of your choice and extract it.
- Upload the directory with the “module-name” to the /modules directory of xoops.
- After successful upload, login to the administration menu and click on modules.
- A list of all installed and un-installed modules will be displayed. Search for the module name that you have just uploaded and click the “Install” button. Xoops will automatically install the module for you and will display the results of the installation procedures.
- Once installed, the module will be displayed in the “Installed Modules List” and you will be able to manage it easily.
Backup and Restore Xoops Database
There are several ways to backup and restore your database in Xoops. One of the easiest ways is using the “XOOPS DB backup & restore 3.0” module. This module will make the backup and restore procedures at the ease of a click.
Installing the module
To install the module you can refer to the above section “Modules”. On the other hand, the “XOOPS DB backup & restore 3.0” module can be downloaded from here.
After the module installation is complete, go to the “File Manager” and create a new folder under /xoops/uploads and name it: “backup”. Also give “write” privileges to that folder.
Now, access the Xoops administration menu and click on Backup. This will show the backup options on the right panel: click on “Configure”. In the configuration page, choose “Download” for the target path, choose “sql” for the save as field and in the “Split file option” choose “None”. Once finished, click “Go”.
This will download the backup file to your desktop. Keep it somewhere safe so that you can use it whenever you need to restore your database.
To restore your Xoops database, follow these steps:
Upload your “sql backup file” to the “backup” folder previously created under “/uploads”. After the upload is successful, go to the administration menu of Xoops, click on “Backup”, on the right menu, click “Restore database”. This will show you the list of backup files available to restore (in case of previous backups). Select the respective file and click “Go”.
This will successfully restore your Xoops database.
Use VNOHosting for the Best Xoops Hosting.
You may use this tutorial for your own use. You may provide a link to this web site, where this tutorial can be used from. However you are not allowed distribute it in any form without the prior permission of VNOHosting.com